Position Title: Electrical Engineer/Designer
The Electrical Engineer is a highly capable, energetic individual who will lead a cross functional team responsible for new product development and modification of existing CDI products. The Engineer will lead the development process from project definition to manufacturing first production and field support, driving projects to completion through product design, schematics, circuit board design, debugging and testing of designs, and completion of all supporting documentation. He or she will assure/assist with the development of the testing processes and tooling necessary (in manufacturing or at the supplier) to insure the product will be delivered with the highest quality to the customer by defining and providing all the engineering specifications. He or she will also work with Manufacturing and CDI customers on troubleshooting electrical problems should they arise. Additional responsibilities include assisting with ISO certification and six-sigma capabilities. The successful candidate will help to improve customer satisfaction results through resolution of complaints, and drive policy, process and individual performance improvement through team involvement, reporting and employee development processes. The right candidate will be an enthusiastic, creative self-starter with an entrepreneurial, ‘can do’ attitude willing to jump in and get involved. The Engineer will be someone who is able to communicate ideas well and connect business needs to solutions. As an instrumental team member, he or she will work closely with management to develop programs that increase awareness, drive quality and process improvements, increase customer satisfaction and generate revenue.
- Capable of writing and updating Engineering documents. Identify areas lacking support documentation and assist in writing documentation as needed.
- Lead in project development from definition to/through first production and field support.
- Assist in obtaining Six-Sigma processes
- Capable of developing PCB board design using Altium or other programs acceptable to CDI
- Ability to completely finish design projects by developing all product requirements and including them in a design file for each project. Includes: PCB design, schematics, product specifications, cost to design analysis, bill of material (BOM), tooling requirements, testing specifications, definition of manufacturing process, work and test instructions, packing requirements, anything else defined in the product development check lists/sheet
- Knowledgeable and capable of utilizing various quality tools to assist with identifying and resolving quality and process problems, 8-D, 5 Why, pareto analysis, SPC, capability studies, FMEAs, etc.
- Ability to gather and complete analyses of data obtained from various areas to be used in project development and assist with quality issues
- Capable of using electronic equipment/gauges/instruments used in gathering and analyzing data (Meters, scopes, calipers, etc.)
- Assist Purchasing and suppliers on resolving/improving product specification issues
- Other duties as assigned to assist in other areas and departments as needed in obtaining the goals and objectives of CDI Electronics.
Required Personal Skills:
- Highly organized team player who can take initiative and work within department priorities
- Entrepreneurial, customer-focused, self-motivated
- Eager to go the extra mile and think outside the box
- Exceptional verbal and written skills
- Quick thinker confident in their decision-making ability
- Able to adhere to deadlines and budgets
- Intermediate skill in MS Office (PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Altium, Labview, C programming and microprocessor programming experience
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time, lift up to 25 lbs. and perform other basic physical demands of the position as needed
- Experience with electronic ignition systems and components a plus
- 2-5 years of product design/development experience specifically focused on electronics circuit board design operations and/or marine engines/power industry
- A track record of creating innovative ways to design/improve product development
- Ability to travel to suppliers, customers, trade shows and conferences as needed
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree
- Meet or exceed company standards for productivity
- Initiate action to prevent the occurrence of product, process or quality system nonconformance
- Identify and record any problems relating to the product, process or quality system
- Strive to develop and implement continuous improvement into all product, process or quality system
- Maintain a clean, neat and orderly work area using the principles of 5S
- Assist in maintaining the security of company property
- Conduct operations in a manner that promotes safety
- Comply with OSHA and MSDS Standards
About CDI Electronics:
Headquartered in Huntsville, AL, CDI is the largest US manufacturer of outboard engine ignition systems and the innovative creators of the Marine Engine Diagnostics System. Through its comprehensive product offering and high quality ignition components, CDI is regarded as the industry experts in marine ignition systems. For more information, visit www.cdielectronics.com.